Each year, midsummer has a particular meaning for the staff and students of Islamic Azad Univesity of Hamedan, as the University was founded in midsummer 1366 with a handful of subjects and a very small number of staff in an old rented building. Here we are not going to present statistics, although those small numbers have all turned into large numbers indicating a tremendous growth. Rather we intend to commemorate all those who played a role in the development of this branch but who are not now among us either because they went away to other areas or because they passed away. Hopefully, this text will be a small appreciation of their efforts and give us food for thought to consider that all of us will one day depart this life.
First of all, we have to remember Dr. Famil-rohani, the founder and first chancellor of the branch, who put in a great deal of effort from 1366 to 1372 to rent a number of buildings and buy 32 hectares of land for the foundation of the current campus of the University.
Then comes the second chancellor of the University (1372-1377), late Mohammad Mottaghi, who was one of the most influential figures in the development of the branch. He made use of his previous experience of the chancellery of Saveh branch and brought about a dramatic growth for the University. He paid the money of some parts of the land to extend the University, established a number of dormitories as well as the non-profit schools of the University, purchased a large amount of facilities, constructed the buildings of Shahid Abbaspoor, Shahid Madani, Shahid Beheshti, and Takhti gym and founded the buildings of the mosque, cafeteria, and greenhouse, constructed Madani access road, and invited the president to inaugurate the newly constructed buildings. Certainly he will be remembered forever for his invaluable work.
Dr. Esmaeil Barazande inaugurated from 1377-1380 the buildings of the mosque, cafeteria, and number 4. Afterwards, from 1380 to 1385, Dr. Hamdi constructed the main access road to the University and Dr. Mohsen Ranjbar completed the faculty of humanities (Yadegar-e Emam building), constructed Pouriya-ye Vali gym, and founded the building of research deputy office and library. The next chancellor, Dr. Mehrdad Kasaei, constructed the research buildings, library, and the faculty of science. He was followed by student deputy, Ali-Asghar Terohid. By 1389 more than 51000 square meters of construction space was inaugurated and Hamedan branch approached to the level of a comprehensive university. Also 5 anonymous martyrs of the holy defense were buried in the University and bestowed it with a spiritual atmosphere. All this made Hamedan branch one of the most important branches in the country.
We have to remember the first student martyr of the branch, Shahid Gholizadeh. Also there are others who have either deceased or left the branch: late Mohammad Mottaghi, the second chancellor in 1388; late Sadegh Radniya, the administrative-financial deputy of the first and second chancellors; late Mr. Mahoori, teacher of mathematics; late Mr. Asadi; late Hojjatol-Eslam Ma’soomi, who passed away in a car crash on the road of Qom-Hamedan while he was coming to hold the post of the head of Islamic cultural office; and late Mr. Jamali.
Other teachers who are now not among us include: late Hojjatol-Eslam Salimi, lecturer of law; late Mr. Moghis and late Mr. Khaleghi, lecturers of English; our late colleagues Parviz Asasi, Mohammad-Ali Yansori, Rahim Heidari, Mr. Man’am, and Mr. Sangestani who cooperated with us for some time after their retirement as school teachers; late Mr. Nafisi (legal office); late Mr. Eliasi (head of the secretariat); late Mr. Rahbar and late Mr. Serajiyan (both from transportation unit); late Mr. Ahmadi-Eslam; late Hossein Rajabi (security officer); and late Mr. Hosseini (Manager of the greenhouse). We should also remember the officials who have endeavored for the development of the branch and have either left us or held another post: Mr. Mo’taghed, Dr. Torabiyan, and Behzad Mohammadi (student deputy office); late Sadegh Radniya, Siroos Gharashi, Hassan Kasaei, and Mr. Aran (administrative-financial deputy office); Mr. Afrasiyabi, Mr. Sharif, Mr. Piri, Mr. Maddi, and Mr. Saeedi-jam (construction deputy office); Dr. Ahamdi, Dr. Haghgoo, Dr. Oliyaei, Mr. Mo’men, Dr. Sha’bani, and Dr. Mahmoodi (research deputy office); Dr. Rahim Ahamdi, General Bagheriyan, Mr. Karimi, and Mr. Mo’taghed (SAMA deputy office); Hojjatol-Eslams Hesari, Niyazi, Bahrami-navid, Ghiyasi, and Shafiei-nategh (Islamic cultural office); and Mr Hamzeh-khani (security office).
Finally we should mention some colleagues who have been retired and are not among us: Haj Ali Ragheb, teacher of Quran; Mohammad Moein, head of student accountancy; Haj Ali Fayyaz, head of supplies department; Mr. Khosravi, head of student welfare fund; Asghar Soleimani, manager of warehouse; and Haj Abolghassem Kaffash, Mr. Morad-haseli, and Ziad-Ali Torkashvand, service office.
Of course, many people have been employed in recent years as administrative or teaching staff. Many of them were graduated from this very branch and are now quite young and energetic. We expect that they respect the elderly and try to learn from their experiences. May God bless the soul of those who passed away and bestow energy and motivation upon us!